Sunday, October 16, 2011

Finished Tribal Top

Sorry for the delay in posting this! But here is the finished top that I made from my funky tribal fabric that I posted about earlier:
(I did actually finish it a while ago but was slack about doing the post :-p)




What do u think? It didn't take long to make actually and I didn't even use a pattern. Apart from the hem, there's only 2 seams: one either side of the body that continues through the sleeves.

To make it, I folded the piece of fabric into quarters and traced and cut out a pattern straight onto the fabric that looked like this:


It's a v easy to make. All you need is your bust and sleeve measurements for the fit. Then the crazy wide lower seam gives it the great drapey shape.


My only problem is that my sewing machine isn't great with sewing jersey. So to stop the seams from stretching as I sewed them, I used masking tape around the edges to stabilise it. I know this is a very unprofessional method but it works so well as you can just rip it right off when your done and it's a lit cheaper than any stabilising stuff you get at lincraft!



So yes, here's the finished result. I'm quite happy with the outcome.

I've worn it here with:

- Black high waisted Ponti miniskirt from M-line
- Necklace from Country Road (a few years ago though)
- Leopard print ankle wellie boots from Target
- Leather patchwork bag from Vinnies
- Wooden Bangles inherited from my Mum and some from Sportsgirl


It also looked cool teamed with this chunky  80s tribal print cardi I found on one of my Rockdale op-shopping tours:

Gotta Love an 80s sweater!

No comments:

Post a Comment